Developing better employees

13 Jan 2016 / 11:20 H.

IN line with governmental efforts to provide working Malaysians the opportunity to further their studies, Malaysia’s favourite convenience store, 7-Eleven, launched a programme for its employees in 2011.
The programme, National Dual Training System (NDTS), is a joint collaboration with Jabatan Pembangunan Kemahiran (JPK) under the authority of the Human Resource Ministry. It aims to strengthen human capital development using an integrated learning system which is fully compliant with the National Occupational Skills Standards (NOSS).
Since the inception of the programme, a total of 2,185 candidates have signed up to participate, some as an apprentice and others, as a coach.
The career development programme, which comprises five different levels, takes employees through a training programme beginning with an apprentice scheme, right up to a store manager’s discipline.
“The very nature of our business – whereby wherever you are and whenever you need us, we shall be there for you – inspires us to provide people with the opportunity to enrich themselves with knowledge and skills, as well as gain meaningful employment. They are thus being better able to support themselves and their families and, in the process, help develop more sustainable communities. We certainly hope these graduates build long and successful careers with 7-Eleven Malaysia,” remarked 7-Eleven Malaysia CEO Gary Brown at the programme’s recent convocation ceremony.
Under the programme, 7-Eleven Malaysia provides monthly remuneration, EPF and Socso benefits, annual bonuses, insurance, annual leave, and even a registration fee waiver giving employees the ultimate platform to better themselves and rise in the organisational pyramid.
With over 37 training centres and 937 certified placement outlets, the programme conducts 80%of practical training at 7-Eleven stores under the supervision and assessment of registered store managers. The remaining 20% consists of theoretical sessions at 7-Eleven Malaysia National Training Centre under the watch of certified trainers from JPK.
The completion of each level will promote an apprentice within a stipulated period of between six and 18 months, according to the student’s capabilities.
The NDTS programme is open to current 7-Eleven Malaysia staff and all Malaysians aged 18 years and above with SPM or PMR qualifications, who are fully committed and have the ability to write, read and calculate, with a penchant to work for the leading stand-alone convenience store chain operator in the country.
Those interested in signing up as coaches will need to have at least two years of experience working with 7-Eleven Malaysia and must have completed all management classes including experience of managing a 7-Eleven store.
The NDTS programme recruitment session is now open for its May and November 2016 intake. For more information, email

thesundaily_my Sentifi Top 10 talked about stocks